Location: Leatherhead and mainly homebased. Ideally candidates should live or work in London or South East as occasional visit to Head2Head Sensory Theatre and Centre will be necessary
Remuneration: This volunteer position is not remunerated but reasonable out-of-pocket expenses will be reimbursed in line with Charity Commission guidelines
Estimate of time needed: Approximately 5-10 hours / month either in or out of office hours
Are you an accountant who loves bookkeeping, enjoys detail, numbers, keeping ledgers and wants to play their part in helping shape an aspiring charity’s future? If so, please get in touch as we would love to hear from you! Head2Head Sensory Theatre is seeking volunteers to form part of a project team leading on the purchase and refurbishment of a Sensory Theatre / Community Drop-In Centre for children and young adults with special needs’ and disabilities, their families and carers.
What will you be doing?
You will play your part in helping us establish and maintain a first-of-its-kind centre which will leave a lasting legacy on the Leatherhead and Surrey community. You will manage and keep tracking records of our finances, accounts ledger and project costs. You will bring your skills, attributes, expert knowledge, experience and contacts to enrich our project and benefit our charity.
Duties for this role, which may be delivered with a mix of remote and office-based working to suit your circumstances, would include:
- Management of the Charity accounts (restricted and unrestricted) to ensure all funds are accurately accounted for and properly utilised in accordance with donor wishes and financial directives. This will involve regular communication to ensure information on any restricted funds status is up to date (such as cash flow grant claims, core cost recovery)
- Producing and distributing to board members accurate, concise and easy to understand monthly management accounts for the Charity funds, in line with agreed timescales
- Making improvements to the design of management account reports when required
- Ensuring the VAT treatment of the restricted fund income and expenditure is correct and fully documented
- Reviewing funding agreements for compliance requirements
- Maintaining an up to date filing record of the Charity’s funds
- Producing and presenting financial reports where necessary
- Cash flow forecasting
- VAT, tax and Gift Aid issues
- Preparing analysis of financial information for monitoring reports when required
- Managing the financial records
- Producing annual accounts
- Monthly bank reconciliations
- Receiving all receipts and ensuring payments are appropriately allocated
- Providing sound financial advice to the Trustees & CEO
- Ensuring financial policies and procedures are up to date
- Ensuring appropriate risk management techniques and financial controls are embedded throughout the charity at strategic and operational levels.
What are we looking for?
We wish to recruit volunteers who are passionate about our charity’s work. We are seeking individuals who are able to help us with our expansion project and beyond with their expertise and skills in finance, accounts ledger and bookkeeping management. Ideal candidates will have can-do attitudes, very strong accounting abilities and attention to detail.
The ideal candidate will be:
- Numerate with enthusiasm for working with figures and spreadsheets
- Experienced in working as a finance officer or finance administrator
- Able to maintain excellent attention to detail and a high level of accuracy
- Educated at GCSE Grade C or above in Maths (or equivalent)
- AAT student / possess AAT qualifications or similar
- Proficient in Microsoft 365 (Experienced Excel, Word and Outlook user, with some knowledge/experience of Teams and Planner or willingness to be trained)
- Experienced in working with accounting software
- Able to communicate clearly and appropriately, both verbally and in writing
- Able to plan and manage a varied, challenging workload and work under pressure
- Able to work independently within clear guidelines
- Able to establish effective working relationships with staff and managers
- Willing to undertake additional training as required
- Experienced in working within a team and able to take a flexible approach when responding to needs of the organisation
- Experience of working in the voluntary sector
- Experience of building financial systems
Please submit your CV and covering letter to:firstname.lastname@example.org